Easy Weeknight Meals - Korean Bowls
This recipe can also be adjusted to accommodate dietary needs. It is naturally gluten-free, but can be effortlessly tweaked to satisfy preferences or restrictions. Below is the basic recipe. Continue reading on for our substitution suggestions.
PREP/ MAKE AHEAD:
Cook 2 cups of Jasmine rice.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (or 1/2 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes) *omit if preferred
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon avocado or sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced or 1 heaping tsp of dried chives
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, red pepper and ginger.
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture and green onions until well combined, allowing to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately over white rice.
We love this sweet and savory and dish and hope you will too! Some quick and easy adjustments you can make:
- Switch out white rice with brown rice or riced cauliflower
- Switch out soy sauce for coconut aminos or tamari
- Switch out ground beef for ground turkey if you prefer
- Switch out brown sugar for coconut sugar if you prefer
- Ground ginger is great, but add the fresh kind if you have it to amp up flavor! (or try Trader Joe's frozen ginger cubes)
- Sesame oil gives this dish a toasty flavor, but don't stress if you don't have it!